baslinux - Re: [BL] Even more questions

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Even more questions
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:03:24 +0000 (UTC)

You need libresolv and libdns from libc to use lynx online (or
the IP number instead of the name of the site (...)
I should put a note about that

Hmmm, that ends up way too complicated for me at this point. Add that
:

I can't find a libnss_dns or libresolv for libc5. Do they exist?

To use the glibc versions found in SW4.0 you will first need to add libc.so.6 (symlinked to the glibc libc-2.0.7.so from SW4.0) and ld-linux.so.2 (symlinked to the SW4.0 ld-linux, whatever it is called). These total under 2MB.

If you use the Slackware 8.1 glibc instead, you can later add Opera.

MANIFEST.gz lists all the files and their sizes and package locations.

Czerno is using the loop file version of BL, which
should run out of space fairly quickly once he starts adding
extra stuff.

... And I guess I'll be removing the Lynx altogether - can "pkg" undo
and remove the stuff properly ?

tar -ztvf packagename.tgz lists what is in a package, which you can then remove manually. My 2.8.5 lynx has a lot of stuff you don't need in it. 2.8.6 I think has just the basics - the executable and three smaller files.

The two library files in question, even glibc versions, are small
ones.
65K libnss_dns and 220K libresolv

It gets bigger if you need glibc and ld-linux too.

But finding and installing them may me over my head ! All of that
before even being able to start to *use* my computer <G>

I could not find them either, for libc5. Never looked before.

Instead of installing lynx on your computer, for $1 you can get a BSD shell account at sdf.lonestar.org and use lynx and links2 there to access your yahoo mail. Or use sdf directly for mail with mutt. For another $35 one-time fee you get more space, and more programs. You have a month free while you are waiting for your $1 to arrive.

There is no spam filter at sdf.

Cheers

--
Czerno