baslinux - Re: [BL] jwm man page

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] jwm man page
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:53:16 +0000 (UTC)

http://24.254.249.181:8080/jwmguide.php

There is a link from here to the configuration menu with more info.

it would be nice to have a menu item to access it

There is a menu item for editing jwm. You should
be able to figure out how to modify the menu by
examining the existing entries.

I looked at that menu but it is cryptic. After an hour or so of experimenting and reading things online, I see that the "A" key is Alt, and since Alt-F1 give me a menu,

<Key mask="A" key="F1">root</Key> translates as
Alt-F1 to get the main menu

Alt-Tab is 'next' - switches focus to the next window in a series

Alt-# 'desktop' must switch to the other desktop (does nothing for me)
(Alt-Shift-3?) This could be reprogrammed to Alt-F3.

Alt-F2 'window' brings up another menu that lets you move, resize, etc. the window (hit Enter, arrow keys if you have a 101-key keyboard or used xmodmap to remap anything nonstandard)

Alt-F4 'close' (close window)

Alt-Tab switches between open windows.

That is configurable. See key bindings at bottom
of jwm menu.

I did not find this self-explanatory. I experimented based on my rudimentary knowledge of Windows then managed to relate my results to the menu.

It takes 15 sec for jwm to display on a second Matrox-video computer, this time with serial mouse. Is there something I can change in a config file to speed this up? Nvidia riva was instant.

The lucent modem in this computer works with BL3.50.

Time to download glibc 2.3.1 solibs and set up Opera 9.20 (they can use the Opera mail program if they need smtp authentication), graphical links, Abiword, and gs for friends in 100MB. For myself also netpbm, kermit, dbclient, msmtp, lynx, svgalib with xvp and zgv, maybe a compiler, in 200MB. How much space do other people use for BL3? My BL3.40 occupies about 85MB now.

Since eznet changes file permissions and cannot be used by 'user', one would need to startX and dial as root, then go online as user (or just do it all as root).

What was the latest suggestion for starting in X?