baslinux - [BL] extended partitions

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] extended partitions
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:48:34 +0000 (UTC)

We are now being given 20GB drives. 3GB for BL2 is overkill. I have BL3.40 in 500B, and a 4GB partition for storing shared data (music, photos).

I used up three primary partitions and do not want a 12GB fourth primary partition for BL3.50. So I made an extended partition /dev/hdb4 with a 200MB linux partition /dev/hdb5 in it, using BL3.50 cfdisk.

/dev/hdb5 200781 blocks, system 83 linux

mke2fs /dev/hdb5
Could not stat /dev/hdb5 -- No such file or directory.

The device apparently does not exist; did yo [sic] specify it correctly?

The first three linux and the extended partition are 'primary', and the linux partition inside the extended one is 'logical'.

I recall being told to use only primary partitions for BL. I have four drives on the two IDE controllers already.

Web research found me the answer (at linuxquestions.org). The device does not exist. I have to mknod /dev/hdb5 b 3 69 (and for additional linux partitions 70 71 etc.)

It would be helpful if future BLs came with /dev/hda5-8 and /dev/hdb5-8.
Some people like to put BL on a drive with other linuxes and run out of primary partitions for that reason.

We have some devices I cannot think of any use for (vcs0-4, vcsa0-4, ttyp9, ptyp9).

I see that makedevs is now included, but why make hundreds of devices?

mke2fs just spent 2 seconds formatting /dev/hdb5 for ext2 BL3.50.
I was able to mount fs.img -o loop and (from BL2) copy files from it to the ext2 partition and edit fstab (rather than install-to-hd).