baslinux - Re: [BL] jwm man page

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] jwm man page
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 15:34:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

I checked my download of bl3-50.zip with md5sum and
it matches what is at the website, but there is still
no jwm man page. Does it exist?

Nope. Why do you want a manpage for the wm?

When I asked about it for the beta version you said you had forgotten and would add it. It took me a lot of experimenting to figure out that Alt-F1 gets me a menu (Ctrl-ESC does not) and Alt-Tab switches focus (making an rxvt does not - unlike icewm). Are instructions in some other form than a man page including in BL?

I could not find one online

http://24.254.249.181:8080/jwmguide.php

Could this info be posted at the BL site if it is not in BL itself?

If a man page for jwm is added,

I don't see the need.

I do see a need for instructions on how to use the wm included with BL. It is less intuitive than icewm.

it would be nice to have a menu item to access it

There is a menu item for editing jwm. You should
be able to figure out how to modify the menu by
examining the existing entries.

I hope to set up BL3.50 for people who have not
used linux and don't know how to use 'man'.

Then you will need to provide them with a lot of
support. Have fun.

I already set up a few people with BL3 and Opera and they like it. I put both Win98 and BL3 both with Opera on a computer for one friend and she has never used the Win98 version yet. She figured it out without me after the first brief lesson. With icewm. She does not like mice either.

Alt-Tab switches between open windows.

That is configurable. See key bindings at bottom
of jwm menu.

Thanks, I will look for the key bindings. But all I found online was the option of choosing between changing focus by moving the mouse and by moving and clicking the mouse.

Your suggestions about setting up BL for novices with part of it on a ramdisk are beyond my capabilities at present but thanks.