baslinux - Re: [BL] magicpoint questions

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] magicpoint questions
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 11:35:50 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
James wrote:

> 800x600 was just blurring too much detail on the maps.

These are the scanned maps, right? I assume they
were scanned at a higher resolution than 800x600.
You may get greater clarity by scanning them at
800x600.

> 1024x768 looked better, and 1152x864 better yet.

Have you tried looking at them from the back of
the room? I would be surprise if someone sitting
at the rear of your audience could tell the
difference.

> So, using the old laptop I had intended for this
> is now out.

Then you probably should dump MagicPoint as well.
If you are going to use up-to-date hardware, then
you might as well use PowerPoint. It will give
you lots more multi-media bells and whistles.
I think it also has a wizard to write your
presentations for you.

> It seems that BL's magicpoint may be an older
> version

Yes.

> or perhaps was compiled without certain options

Yes.

> (for size considerations), correct?

Yes.

> I've found things on the 'net indicating magicpoint
> handles png's,

Yes, it normally does.

> but it's not been able to deal with any of the png's
> I've tried with it.

I stripped out all the graphics formats (except jpg)
to make the executable smaller.

> Also, some of my images are taller than they are wide,
> so it's undesireable to add text above them. But
> there's plenty of room at the side. Is there no way
> to make magicpoint do something like columns, such
> that a caption can appear side-by-side with an image?

I don't know the answer to that. So far the only images
I've used in my presentations were full-screen, so I've
not played around with mixed text/graphic pages.

> So, in order to get some sort of appearance like that,
> would I have to edit the image itself and add text at
> the side?

That should work, but you will probably find PowerPoint
more accommodating in this regard.

> Finally, on video memory: how crucial will it be to
> magicpoint's speed to have more than 1MB of video
> memory?

I don't know which is more important: CPU speed, RAM
or video RAM.

> Can I expect a card with that amount to enable me to
> scroll quickly through my slides at 1152x864 resolution?

As I said, I haven't done much graphics in my presentations.
And I've never done 1152x864 resolution, even on my best
computer. I think you are setting your sights a little
high, but with up-to-date hardward you can probably do
things I would never dream of. Anyway, I know from
personal experience that MagicPoint is able to cache
pages (there's a setting for that) and is able to bring
up pages quite quickly after that. However, I have no
idea whether the cache works with graphic images.

> Anyway, it's a neat little program

With the emphasis on the "little". I was very pleased
to squeeze a useable presentation program onto a two-
floppy Linux. It's a perfect match for my old laptop.
As long as I don't get too ambitious, I can do some
pretty impressive presentations.