baslinux - Re: [BL] Networking question questions

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Networking question questions
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 18:52:18 -0400

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 05:54:08PM -0400, Sheldon wrote:

> What's this udchpc ?
>
> If it's commented out, can my old/middle-aged hardware still be able to
> access the
> network?

udhcpc is a networking utility that sends out a broadcast asking for an IP
which, if given, is associated with the
network interface by your computer. But for it to be useful, your computer
must be hooked to a network that has a dhcp
server, i.e., a machine that looks for broadcasts such as those put out by
udhcpc, and responds to those broadcasts
with an IP offer. So, if you don't have any dhcp server on your network, you
should leave that line commented out. The
lines that follow, that are uncommented, tell your computer to associate a
set IP address with your network interface.
If that's what's been working for you, you should probably leave it as is.
But in any case, one of the two
sections--either the udhcpc line or the ones that associate the IP with your
network interface and tell it the address
of the gateway--_has_ to be commented out. I don't think networking would
work if both were uncommented.

James