baslinux - Re: [BL] magicpoint questions

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] magicpoint questions
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:30:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
aka James

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 08:55:52AM +1300, Steven wrote:

MagicPoint has the ability to incorporate jpegs into
the pages, but they are *much* slower to display than
text. A 486 laptop is not suitable for a presentation
with lots of jpegs. My best laptop is a Pentium 100
and it has a noticeable delay on large jpegs.

Thanks for that tip. This is a P 133 with 32 MB RAM. Some of the jpg's
(scanned ones) are turning out to be fairly
large--between 1 and 2MB. Would you think this laptop will have the oomph to
handle those elegantly?

What resolution were they scanned at? Do they need to be color? Can they be 4-bit or 8-bit color?

A page of black and white text scanned at 300 dpi can produce a 40K gif that looks good.

People who stick the page into their scanner and use it as a Windows 'pdf' machine send me 1-2MB color copies that don't look good, in 8-bit color.
One of them actually read the instructions and replaced 10.5MB of files with about 150K that looked better.

Gifs are less fuzzy than jpegs. I scan in linux as pbm (or ppm color) and then convert the pbm to gif via netpbm. I don't recall SANE offering a choice of color depth but converting pnm to gif should reduce depth to 8-bit.

Can you manage with a virtual screen? On our laptop which displays only 640x480 I tried a 1280 virtual screen, which showed only 1/4 of the picture at a time but in better detail.