baslinux - Re: [BL] [maybe OT] new busybox 1.4.1 binary

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] [maybe OT] new busybox 1.4.1 binary
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 00:20:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:
another list member and I are working on compiling busybox 1.4.1

Can you apply this patch before you compile? It's small, and trivial.

http://busybox.net/downloads/fixes-1.4.1/busybox-1.4.1-wgetSEGV.patch

I applied the patch but the file permissions got screwed up for that version (in an attempt to compile as root in a user directory) so I configured for 1.3.2 while they were getting fixed. Without patches.

see http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/config.busybox132.Feb17

David and Steven and anyone else, please advise about any changes. I did not understand a lot of the help files and left in things that made no sense to me just in case (extra options for ls, less, find, grep, etc.).

I tried to include all of what Steven included plus ftpget, modprobe, awk, vi, password/su utilities, netstat, chvt, and the latest mke2fs and e2fsck (to avoid problems with BL3 not handling BL2 filesystems). Also bbconfig which prints out the config file for busybox. I omitted tftp.

To compile, would root (after compiling uclibc probably with the latest full busybox, for some reason as a loop filesystem) simply unpack busybox source code in /uclibc, chroot there, and copy over my .config file? I am not root on this fast computer with broadband, which will save download and compilation time. (I will let root introduce himself if he wants).

Should we post a copy of the latest compiled uclibc in .tgz form? The precompiled version I downloaded for my own use has an Oct 9 2004 busybox and Jan 11 2005 bin.

The next project would be lynx (2.8.6rel.4) to replace David's 2.8.6dev16 which was rather buggy (could not access a lot of websites).
Nov 15 2006 is the latest release, Nov 6 rel 3. There is a 2.8.7dev..4 also Nov 15 which differs slightly. dev16 was Dec 18 2005. 12 screens of fixes/changes since then.

Ghostscript also needs recompiling. I left out pdfwrite (can't use ps2pdf). There is now a pdf 1.6 and gs8.50 handles up to 1.5.
I compiled 8.50 of Dec 2005 and there is a GPL GS 8.54 of June 2006.
12GB bz2 source plus other needed libraries. 8.51 handles pdf 1.6.

It fixes a SEGV error in wget from 1.4.1. Busybox has a new maintainer
now, and he seems to have the philosophy of "release early, and
release often" so sometimes small issues like this creep in. But the
project is progressing at a very rapid pace. For example, busybox less
now handles regexp and paging properly. It's much smaller than GNU
less, of course, but unfortunately you can't scroll horizontally yet.
Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

There were a couple of other patches there, but they didn't seem
relevant to me. You might check and see if you need any of them.

I'm looking forward to testing this new busybox.

Me too. Maybe we can start with 1.3.2, the Jan 20 stable version with a few trivial fixes of 1.3.0. It improved find (more options), ps, cp, grep, tar, httpd, telnetd (not included by me), fixes to login, dd mount umount chmod chown ln udhcp fdisk ifconfig sort tee mkswap wget insmod
(since 1.2 with its own fixes of 1.1).

I said NO to IPv6 networking support - what is it?

1.4.1 has many improvements to less (binary files). Bugfixes to tar ps time su awk ping sort . Rewritten syslogd.

David