baslinux - Re: [BL] Hard Copy

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Hard Copy
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:07:16 +0000 (UTC)

Greg Mayman wrote:

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SSP]
parport1: PC style at 0x278 [SSP]

So you have two printer ports in your computer.

And lp1 is offline because there is no printer plugged into it.

I bet 'wp' is trying to print to lp1 not lp0. I had the same problem with two printer ports, one of them in my MGA card. Since I have a boxful of the cards I found one that would let me disable the parport on that card and just use the onboard parport.

It might be possible to insert parport_pc specifying the io and irq for both ports. I don't recall how but I think I would have needed to do that to use both printer ports in linux. Maybe your second port will print anyway. Mine may have had a nonstandard address.

Can wp be edited to print to lp0 and ignore lp1?

cat file > /dev/lp0 ought to print something, but if it is an inkjet (as opposed to dot-matrix) printer first you would need to run dos2unix (with the same switch used in 'wp') to change the line feeds from unix to dos style.

It might be simplest just to remove that second card with parport.