baslinux - Re: [BL] Hard Copy

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Hard Copy
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 00:47:51 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Greg Mayman wrote:

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 15:22:21 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

If your computer has one parallel port it should be lp0 not lp1.

That sounds reasonable.

Can you go into setup and check in BIOS what the parallel port
address is?

No I don't think I can see it in BIOS on this computer.

Do you have it set to something other than the default?

No I certainly don't. DOS prints quite happily with no fancy fiddlin' to
make it work.

I have run into a few parallel ports (mostly on laptops or old MGA add-on cards) which work perfectly in DOS, for parallel port file transfer, but not at all for the same thing in linux. Maybe your port is a bit non-standard and therefore does not work in linux even for printing?

A clue is that linux is finding lp1 (which is LPT2) rather than lp0 (LPT1), which might mean it has a non-standard address. (Similarly ttyS0 is COM1 and ttyS1 is Com2).

Try to find a way to go into setup to see what the address is set to.

You can search on the internet on the computer model number and 'setup' for help. It could be DEL, F1, F2, F10, ESC, or who knows what else, even combinations of keys. Then look for peripherals settings and let us know the address and whether it is the default. If you cannot figure out what address is the default, you can set everything to defaults in setup. (But then if you have an internal modem, disable the comport that it is set to).

You can also search in google/linux on the computer model number and words such as printing and parallel port and lp1, in case other people had the same problem.

Is your parallel port onboard or on a separate card? If it is an ISA card, you will definitely have to specify the address if nonstandard and maybe even if standard, when you insmod parport_pc.

486s used separate ISA controller-I/O cards which could be set to different printer port addresses and IRQs. Do you have a 486?