baslinux - Re: [BL] Hard Copy

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Hard Copy
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:06:26 -0500

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 08:45:42AM +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:07:16 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:
>
> > Can wp be edited to print to lp0 and ignore lp1?
>
> I know what wp does, but I have no idea what it is.
>
> It doesn't seem to exist as a separate file, since 'find -name wp.*'
> could not locate it.
>
> What can't be found can't be edited.

The problem here is that you're trying to import a DOS convention into Linux,
Greg. Files in Linux, whether they be
text, executable, or any other type, do not need to have any extension. You
could name a Word document "1" if you
wanted to on Linux, and as long as you opened it with a program that can
handle Word files (e.g., antiword 1), the file
would be usable just like this on your Linux system. In the case of the
executable you're discussing, it's simply
called wp. There's no period and no extension; just two letters, a "w" and a
"p." The "find" command didn't find it
because you asked find to look for a file with the letters wp, _but_ those
letters followed by a period and a wildcard.
There is no file on your system that has the letters wp followed by a period
and any other character, so find told you
the file you were searching for was not present. Steven has provided the
correct syntax for searching for the wp
executable. Hope this helps.

James