baslinux - Re: [BL] HTML to PDF/PS (was: BL3 as 'user') 18

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HTML to PDF/PS (was: BL3 as 'user') 18
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:12:22 +0000 (UTC)

To produce pdf from ps use ghostscript's ps2pdf.

Does one really _need_ PDF? Don't printers accept PS? That's simpler than PS.
(you meant PDF here)

xpdf has a pdftoppm
netpbm can print pbm files without gs
None of my printers accept ps, which is why I need gs to print it.

I like your idea of disassembling PDF/PS into images and text,
which could be turned into simple HTML with a script and viewed
with one's browser.

pdftoppm makes large images files to view with zgv (on the right video chip) or probably with xv.

There must be a way to do the former without xpdf or gs. No need
to display anything.

I need one or the other. pdftoppm or print/display the ps with gs.

That way, you don't have to mess with a PDF viewer. And you'd preview
your PS with the browser, too, because that's what would be converted
to PS with the script.

But that's mostly pretty ignorant rambling. I don't know printing very well.

I just know I dislike PDF. Big and complex. A plain-text markup
language for printing is just _fine_

PS files are much larger. I suppose you could gzip them. Want to compare the same file as pdf or gzipped (or bz2ed) ps?

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru