baslinux - Re: [BL] HTML to PDF/PS (was: BL3 as 'user') 18

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HTML to PDF/PS (was: BL3 as 'user') 18
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 04:21:01 +0000

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 06:48:56AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> > Opera will save as HTML or plain text, but not as ps. To
> > print webpages as 'root' with formatting and images, you
> > would need Phoenix (or later incarnations) and use Ron's
> > method to save as ps and then use gs's pstopdf etc. Firefox
> > is rather slow on 200MHz computers even with 64MB RAM. Maybe
> > there is some smaller program to convert html to ps?
>
> In case Lee wants to convert PERL to bash script, or Ron wants
> to install PERL5 and try this script instead of Phoenix.
>
> http://user/it/uu/se/~jan/html2ps.html

I only want to be able to convert basic webpages. That tries to get them
all. But thanks.

> html2ps is a PERL 5 script. Do perl scripts need compiling?

No. That's one of the key differences between a binary executable
and a script. The latter is compiled on the fly, basically, by
the shell, which is a binary executable, and the script can call
external binary executables or scripts. Or libraries of shell functions
sourced by the script: '. /usr/local/libs/shell/libps' (for example)
is put in the main script.

The same application written in C and compiled, rather than bash, would
be smaller and run faster, as a rule.

> To produce pdf from ps use ghostscript's ps2pdf.

Does one really _need_ PDF? Don't printers accept PS? That's
simpler than PS.

I like your idea of disassembling PDF/PS into images and text,
which could be turned into simple HTML with a script and viewed
with one's browser.

There must be a way to do the former without xpdf or gs. No need
to display anything.

That way, you don't have to mess with a PDF viewer. And you'd preview
your PS with the browser, too, because that's what would be converted
to PS with the script.

But that's mostly pretty ignorant rambling. I don't know printing very well.

I just know I dislike PDF. Big and complex. A plain-text markup
language for printing is just _fine_

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful