baslinux - Re: [BL] HTML to PDF/PS (was: BL3 as 'user') 19

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HTML to PDF/PS (was: BL3 as 'user') 19
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 05:23:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Lee Forrest wrote:

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 05:22:28PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
[delete]
I'm wondering whether it is necessary to convert to PDF. Don't all printers
accept PS? (they do down at Kinko's). PS is plain text.

I'm still wondering that.

Cheaper printers do not print ps, which is why gs was invented.

Are you sure? PS predates PDF by quite a bit (doesn't it?). Do
you mean _modern_ cheap printers?

I don't have any modern printers, mine are all DOS-capable and work with linux without CUPS. They are parallel-port too.

[delete]

Kinko's uses expensive new printers.

I am suspecting that their computers just convert PS to PDf and then
print it.

I don't know of any printers that print PDF directly. Postscript printers print ps directly, and probably you need software to convert the pdf before printing.

Lee