baslinux - Re: [BL] HTML to PDF/PS (was: BL3 as 'user') 1A

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HTML to PDF/PS (was: BL3 as 'user') 1A
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:26:59 +0000

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 08:30:31AM +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
> >
> > Instead of trading libc5 for libc6, I plan on trading
> > libc5 for uclibc (Which is half the size of libc5 but
> > does everything I need
>
> Are you aware that there is a Debian distribution
> (woody, I think)
> completely based on uClibc?

Never heard that. I run woody and it uses glibc2. Maybe
an experimental variant?

> Since
> you are familiar with Debian, you might be able to
> use some parts of it. However, it was based on an
> earlier version of uClib, which is incompatible with
> the current version.

Worth looking into.

> And therein lies the problem with uClibc. Since the
> earliest days of BL3, I have wanted to use uClibc as
> the base BL3 library. However, the developers kept
> breaking compatibility and warned that the next version
> (which we are still waiting for) will probably break
> compatibility again.

Yeh. It's here. 0.9.28, not compatible with ....27.

> So yes, you can take the current uClibc and compile
> executables for it (that's what I did for the BL3
> busybox and Xvesa). But, if you link them dynamically,
> keep in mind that next week (or next year) there will
> probably be a new version of uClibc that won't work
> with your executables.

Then you just stick with the one you have, right?

It's looking like 0.9.27 will work for BL. Already has almost
everything BL has and I have had no problem compiling the apps
I've added to BL already on it.

Or you could rebuild everything :-(

Guess you could write a script that would do that.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru