baslinux - Re: [BL] HTML to PDF/PS (was: BL3 as 'user') 17

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HTML to PDF/PS (was: BL3 as 'user') 17
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:30:31 +1300

Lee Forrest wrote:

> Instead of trading libc5 for libc6, I plan on trading
> libc5 for uclibc (Which is half the size of libc5 but
> does everything I need

Are you aware that there is a Debian distribution
(woody, I think) completely based on uClibc? Since
you are familiar with Debian, you might be able to
use some parts of it. However, it was based on an
earlier version of uClib, which is incompatible with
the current version.

And therein lies the problem with uClibc. Since the
earliest days of BL3, I have wanted to use uClibc as
the base BL3 library. However, the developers kept
breaking compatibility and warned that the next version
(which we are still waiting for) will probably break
compatibility again.

So yes, you can take the current uClibc and compile
executables for it (that's what I did for the BL3
busybox and Xvesa). But, if you link them dynamically,
keep in mind that next week (or next year) there will
probably be a new version of uClibc that won't work
with your executables.