baslinux - Re: [BL] HTML to PDF/PS (was: BL3 as 'user') 14

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HTML to PDF/PS (was: BL3 as 'user') 14
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:43:15 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Opera will save as HTML or plain text, but not as ps.

That's not quite correct. Opera is able to output ps
to a file.

Please explain how. It was not listed as a format for 'save as'.
I see html, html with images, text and 'all files'. Opera 8.52.

There is a 'Print' option. Does that export ps, and if so, can the output be shunted through ps2pdf | pdftopnm | pbmtolj , or can it print to a file? You can choose 'printer program'. But I see no way to print to file.

To print webpages as 'root' with formatting and images,
you would need Phoenix (or later incarnations)

I think Opera would do the job just as well.

Did you print formatted webpages as root with Opera?

BTW it might be possible to pipe the ps output from
Opera (or AbiWord) directly to your netpbm printing
routine. If you click on PRINT in Opera, you will
see a tab for Printer Program. It appears you can
put your own program there (with parameters).

Yes, I just noticed that too. Opera also lists all the filters
from /var/spool/lpd/postscript which appear in printcap, plus lp, under 'destination'. Perhaps those will work as root?

As printer program would I put:

ps2pdf $1 | pdftopnm | pbmtolj > /dev/lp0

How do I stop Opera from notifying me about newer versions?

Abiword, under File Print, lists printer command as 'lpr' - could I also change that to the above?

I will experiment.