baslinux - Re: [BL] Automating copying to floppy disk 9

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Automating copying to floppy disk 9
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 03:17:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Lee Forrest wrote:

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 04:12:46PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

I will not repeat your script (see previous in thread) but
thanks. I have to assume that the user does not know what a
path or a file is so the messages might need rewriting.

Ah. Of course. You can cover that. Just do what all coders do:
Follow the examples found in other similar code. You really
need to take on scripting, and you've already started: An MSDOS
batchfile is a script of the most basic kind. A list of commands
with their associated options and args, that run one after the
other.

We have books on the subject left from a course my partner took.

mtools is another option.

No need for them here. Except superformat for floppies. I don't have
a printer so I put PDF on a floppy and drop it off at Kinko's on
the way to work and pick up the prints on the way home.

It might be better to give people printers and have them print with Abiword. We find working ones at the curb and in dumpsters.
I need to get eznet working in BL3 for 'user' first.

First I need to set up BL3 with the password package and see if
rxvt will work for user or needs permissions changed.

Not a big deal if it does. Xterms certainly work for users.
rxvt is working now. BL3 does not have an xterm.

But you need to consider xserver and window-manager
permissions/authority first.

Xvesa is working too, with icewm. chmod +s everything related to x or dialing and chmod 777 any devices.

Or run the server with the -ac option. Put that in /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
or on the commandline like so:

startx -- -ac

From Xvesa -help:
-ac disable access control restrictions
_Not_ to be used if remote acces/networking is enabled (startxt).
Is okay if a local box is connected to the box in question and
neither to the internet.
I am making internet computers.

As an aside, I've made Xvesa do logging by aliasing it like so:

alias sx='startx >> /var/log/Xlog 2>&1'

And improving the log by adding -audit 5 to startx.
What are you trying to do with this?

[delete]

Someone paid $60 for 200GB and then her DOS fdisk only
formatted 1.99GB of it.

Oops. Guess they'll have to do it a hundred more times.

Or do something sensible like switching to linux.

The phone company that is selling them broadband said they could not help unless they got XP, so they did. Tonight a friend said he could only format 2GB of his 6GB drive. He is using DOS 6.22. We have partition magic and partition resizer. And his drive won't work as slave.

How many GB does the latest Fedora want?

I'd imagine that it would be 5-10.

XP installed into 1.5G without added applications.

Lee