baslinux - Re: [BL] Automating copying to floppy disk 9

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Automating copying to floppy disk 9
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:53:12 +0000

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 04:12:46PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> I will not repeat your script (see previous in thread) but
> thanks. I have to assume that the user does not know what a
> path or a file is so the messages might need rewriting.

Ah. Of course. You can cover that. Just do what all coders do:
Follow the examples found in other similar code. You really
need to take on scripting, and you've already started: An MSDOS
batchfile is a script of the most basic kind. A list of commands
with their associated options and args, that run one after the
other.

The bash book is good for a reference, but there are tutorials
galore on the web that are better places to start.

Just add a little tutorial on paths and such to the script.

> mtools is another option.

No need for them here. Except superformat for floppies. I don't have
a printer so I put PDF on a floppy and drop it off at Kinko's on
the way to work and pick up the prints on the way home.

One can send them in by email, but I don't do attachments.

And I print things out so rarely that I can't justify having a
printer of my own.

> First I need to set up BL3 with the password package and see if
> rxvt will work for user or needs permissions changed.

Not a big deal if it does. Xterms certainly work for users.

But you need to consider xserver and window-manager
permissions/authority first.

Or run the server with the -ac option. Put that in /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
or on the commandline like so:

startx -- -ac

>From Xvesa -help:
-ac disable access control restrictions
_Not_ to be used if remote acces/networking is enabled (startxt).
Is okay if a local box is connected to the box in question and
neither to the internet.

As an aside, I've made Xvesa do logging by aliasing it like so:

alias sx='startx >> /var/log/Xlog 2>&1'

And improving the log by adding -audit 5 to startx.

[delete]

> Someone paid $60 for 200GB and then her DOS fdisk only
> formatted 1.99GB of it.

Oops. Guess they'll have to do it a hundred more times.

Or do something sensible like switching to linux.

> How many GB does the latest Fedora want?

I'd imagine that it would be 5-10.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful