baslinux - Re: [BL] Automating copying to floppy disk

  • From: Karolis Lyvens <karolisl AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Automating copying to floppy disk
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 15:05:16 +0200

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 10:14:05PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> I usually chmod +x all scripts. chmod 4755 changed it
> from -rwxr-xr-x to -rwsr-xr-x.
>
> Please explain what this accomplished.

It added a SUID bit to that executable, meaning that even if an ordinary
user starts that executable, it runs with owner's (in this case, root's)
privileges.

Note that the user can only EXECUTE that file with root privileges. (S)He
still doesn't have any write rights to it nor any other root rights
except launching the script.

SGID works in the same way, except that it runs the executable with
owner's group privileges. Which may be a more elegant solution, but that
requires creating additional group, chown'ing some files to it, adding
the root to it.

SUID/SGID is normally used to provide normal users the ability to execute
tasks they would not be able to do because these tasks/commands require
root privileges.

Karolis