baslinux - Re: [BL] Automating copying to floppy disk E

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Automating copying to floppy disk E
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:13:36 +0000

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 03:17:35AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Lee Forrest wrote:

[delete]
> >> First I need to set up BL3 with the password package and see if
> >> rxvt will work for user or needs permissions changed.
> >
> > Not a big deal if it does. Xterms certainly work for users.
> rxvt is working now. BL3 does not have an xterm.

I didn't mean 'xterm' literally. That's shorthand for 'x-terminal-emulator'.

Yeh. It's confusing. But it's easier to type "actual xterm" once
in a while than typing "x-terminal-emulator" most of the time.

[delete]
> > As an aside, I've made Xvesa do logging by aliasing it like so:
> >
> > alias sx='startx >> /var/log/Xlog 2>&1'
> >
> > And improving the log by adding -audit 5 to startx.
> What are you trying to do with this?

Get more information from X so that I can make it work better. Isn't
that what logs are for?

> > [delete]
> >
> >> Someone paid $60 for 200GB and then her DOS fdisk only
> >> formatted 1.99GB of it.
> >
> > Oops. Guess they'll have to do it a hundred more times.
> >
> > Or do something sensible like switching to linux.
>
> The phone company that is selling them broadband said they could not help
> unless they got XP, so they did.

If a linux/unix runner is going to use a windows ISP (most of
them) they have to be able to do the whole thing themselves. All
I need from an ISP is a door onto the internet that they keep
well oiled.

They don't need to show me how to use it, just give me permission
to do so.

And provide some basic information, most of which will be on
their website or available from their whois server. Sometimes,
you'll need some hardware from them, like an ISDN modem, but you
need to be able to configure the yourself.

There are linux distros that will do it all for you (if you are
lucky and its the latest stable build), but you might as well
just install windows, which is better at being windows than linux
is.

[delete]

Lee

--