baslinux - Re: [BL] Automating copying to floppy disk

  • From: Karolis Lyvens <karolisl AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Automating copying to floppy disk
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:33:27 +0200

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 06:49:46PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
>
> > sindi keesan wrote:
> >>
> >> BL3 will only dial as 'root'.
> >
> > That's not correct. It is possible to configure eznet/pppd
> > so that an ordinary user can do ppp-on and ppp-off.
>
> My error message with 'user' in BL2 is Failed to open /dev/ttyS1.
> crwxr-x--x - should I chmod +r this?

Try

----
chmod +rw /dev/ttyS1 OR
chmod 777 /dev/ttyS1
----

(But i don't think that this will be needed if we try the following
method)

> /usr/bin/eznet is -rwsr-sr-x (I may have changed this already).
> pppd is -rwsr-sr-x (compiled by David Moberg for 2.4.31 kernel but I
> may have changed it already)
>
> Dialing is my unsolved 'user' problem. To go online as user I could dial
> first as root but I cannot ask other people to learn to do this. Could I
> make some script to dial as superuser after logging in as user?

Maybe setuid would help to solve this problem...

----
chmod 4755 /usr/sbin/ppp-on
chmod 4755 /usr/sbin/ppp-off
----

Now, try to launch one of these as an ordinary user. If it doesn't work,
i have one idea:

When examining scripts that come with BL, i noiced that some of them do
not have so called "sh(e|a)bang" line. Neither "ppp-on" or "ppp-off" have
them. So, prepend the following line to them:

----
#!/bin/sh
----

Eg, ppp-on should look like this: