baslinux - [BL] Automating copying to floppy disk

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Automating copying to floppy disk
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 00:39:34 +0000 (UTC)

We posted a freecycle offer (giving things away to local people online) for 'odd old computer drives' (360K floppy, scsi zip, jaz and syquest, etc.) and got the predictable replies from people who wanted to build computers with them for low-income people or for their neighbor who is low income. The latter agreed to take a working computer from us instead.

(We have plenty left because the student advisor who wanted them for his poor students finally responded to my emails about WORD VIEWER 97 etc by asking if our computers had xp on them).

I offered internet and wordprocessing. Abiword will only print as 'user'. BL3 will only dial as 'root'. I cannot expect the user to know how to switch between them. The neighbor says they do not need to print from that computer, they can print at her house. So I plan on BL3, Opera and Abiword.

I am told other linuxes let you print as root. I wonder how.

The user is a 15 year old who needs to type papers for school and probably has to provide a particular font size and margins.

How could I automate things so that a file saved to Abiword's default location would be copied to a floppy disk, maybe with some script I can invoke from the icewm menu to

mount /dev/fd0 /fd
cp /path/to/filename.rtf /fd
umount /fd

They might want to save the old file too.

It would be nice if 'Remove floppy disk now' could flash on the screen but Abiword will already be occupying the screen.

Do I need a sleep 15 or some other sort of pause while it copies?

Someone assembling an Amiga wants the scsi external syquest, internal jazz, internal and external hard disks. Probably not for linux.