baslinux - Re: [BL] Automating copying to floppy disk

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Automating copying to floppy disk
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:49:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

BL3 will only dial as 'root'.

That's not correct. It is possible to configure eznet/pppd
so that an ordinary user can do ppp-on and ppp-off.

My error message with 'user' in BL2 is Failed to open /dev/ttyS1.
crwxr-x--x - should I chmod +r this?

/usr/bin/eznet is -rwsr-sr-x (I may have changed this already).
pppd is -rwsr-sr-x (compiled by David Moberg for 2.4.31 kernel but I may have changed it already)

Dialing is my unsolved 'user' problem. To go online as user I could dial first as root but I cannot ask other people to learn to do this. Could I make some script to dial as superuser after logging in as user?

-------------------------------
rxvt: Failed to open input method. xterm does work.

SVGA server - Server needs root permision. Xvesa does work (I may have changed permissions on it already to -rwsr-sr-x).

Abiword works with Xvesa and rxvt.

If I can get 'user' to dial, I will skip the floppy disk part and provide a printer with the free computer.

How could I automate things so that a file saved to Abiword's
default location would be copied to a floppy disk

Why not copy the file to floppy from AbiWord? Once the floppy
is mounted, AbiWord will treat it just like any other directory.

My attempt at a script was:
mount /dev/fd0 /fd
cp /tmp/filename /fd
umount /fd

The result was a mounted /fd with nothing on it. (But it may not really have been mounted because this computer takes two tries to show that things are really unmounted).

It would be nice if 'Remove floppy disk now' could flash on
the screen but Abiword will already be occupying the screen.

xmessage
I will read up on this.

Do I need a sleep 15 or some other sort of pause while it copies?

Just tell them to wait for the drive's light to turn off
before removing the floppy. As for mounting/umounting
the floppy, you could make those menu items.

It has to be REALLY simple. The neighbor who is going to help print just wrote back asking me why someone would have to pay for an internet connection, when I had the bright idea of letting her know it would be at least $4/month. She obviously has some connection of her own since she answers emails.

Is there some way to make BL automount and unmount floppy drives, maybe mtools with kmod?