baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:38:06 +1300

Greg Mayman wrote:

> I have always been of a similar mind. So naturally I want to know
> _why_ the backspace key works in what I consider the "normal"
> manner at the CLI, but differently in the GUI.
>
> My mind is incapable of accepting "it is different" as sufficient
> reason. It keeps prodding me with questions like "In what way is
> it different?" and "Why hasn't it been made the same?"

The answer to this question (and many others) may be found
in the Linux HOWTOs. You will find the HOWTOs in many
places. Here is one:

http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-4.0/docs

I suggest you download the Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO
and read the section entitled "Delete and Backspace"