baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:16:35 +1030

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 02:40:36 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

> startx, make an xterm (which is actually an rxvt), type 'xmodmap
> xmodmap.84' (without the ' ') and then press the Enter key.

I kept getting a not found error until I moved it to the root
directory. The problem with the backspace key now seems to be
fixed.

But it annoys me that the GUI has such a problem with it when it
is fine at the CLI level. That annoyance is my legacy of 40+
years of finding and fixing similar problems.

Regarding commands in BL: "busybox --help" turned up a massive
amount of information on what commands were available (why didn't
someone suggest that to me before?) but no data as to how, where
and why one would use them.

Midnight Commander: "man mc" gives a lot of help, but doesn't
explain the little symbols (~ @ * - + | and blank) that appear in
front of filenames. The filenames also appear in white, green,
magenta or black. This looks like it probably has some
significance, but is not explained.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v