baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 16:42:00 +1000

Hi Greg,

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 12:30:48 +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 19:06:37 -0500, Sheldon Isaac wrote:

>> http://sylpheeddoc.sourceforge.net/

> Oh, bother it!!! The darn thing is a nest of linked HTML files.

> That means I have to be online to read it, or find some way of
> downloading all the files (I never could get wget to do that for me).

> Isn't it available anywhere as a simgle file, no matter how enormous?

I have separately emailed you a ZIP of the manual pages (as .htm)
for the BL2 version of Sylpheed. Didn't you get it yet ?
If you were to unzip it in BL3 (long file names - not good for DOS
partition), it is less than 100 kb in all, and they inter-connect within
the same directory. You can read those off-line, no probs.

> And is there something I need more urgently, that is a single file
> download of instructions for BL?

Greg has a point here. We do need to update not only the FAQ from
BL1, but it would help someone in Greg's position if one of us (I guess
me) would prepare a list of all (well, maybe most) of the executables in
/bin, /usr/bin, with a very brief legend for each - perhaps the output
of "executable --help" would be a good place to start.
I would be happy to load such stuff onto my BL3 add-ons pages.

I am talking just a kick-start for linux newbies, not a "complete
idiots guide to" or anything. There has been enough traffic on this
particular subject to justify a little effort, I think.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com