baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:36:12 +1030

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 23:00:33 -0600, James Miller wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 02:52:45PM +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:

>> And this is probably going to sound like another lot of stupid
>> questions: Where should I have the xmodmap.84 file located when I
>> do the above? Will BL automatically search for it? Should I do a
>> cd to the directory where it is before I execute the above
>> command?

> That question can probably best be answered by searching the archive under
> "xmodmap."

The question was even more easily answerred by trying it in
different places until the command worked. I found the best
position was in the root directory.

Another question is whether it needs to be left there or has the
data from it been incorporated into some other file.

Ah, what the hey! It's not hurting anything there. I'll let it
stay.

> The
> archive used to have a search function but they've removed it. It's
> possible to
> search the
> archive easily via google, though. Someone wrote a sort of google script
> for
> doing this and
> posted it to the list, but I've lost it. Can anyone report it? Should it be

That kind of thing would be VERY handy!

> included on the
> BL mainpage, Steven? And no, Greg, I'm not directing you to the archive
> because
> I'm one of
> the cognoscenti and cannot condescend to answer your question.

Yup, understood. I'm not in the best of health at the moment and
the weather lately has been getting me down so I was a bit more
techy than usual.

It's going to be 37 deg C today (98.6 F) today, so I'll probably
feel even worse. But I _will_ control my outbursts <GGGGG>

> Pico is an old standard Unix editor (came with Pine). e3 emulates it (as
> well as

Ah, yes, that rings a bell (admittedly a faint and distant one).

I'm going out in the air-conditioned bus in a few minutes to look
for that book that Sindi recommended.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v