baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 23:00:33 -0600

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 02:52:45PM +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:

> And this is probably going to sound like another lot of stupid
> questions: Where should I have the xmodmap.84 file located when I
> do the above? Will BL automatically search for it? Should I do a
> cd to the directory where it is before I execute the above
> command?

That question can probably best be answered by searching the archive under
"xmodmap." The
archive used to have a search function but they've removed it. It's possible
to search the
archive easily via google, though. Someone wrote a sort of google script for
doing this and
posted it to the list, but I've lost it. Can anyone report it? Should it be
included on the
BL mainpage, Steven? And no, Greg, I'm not directing you to the archive
because I'm one of
the cognoscenti and cannot condescend to answer your question. I have no idea
how xmodmap
works. I just recall a lengthy series Sindi posted about it, and I'm also
aware that Sindi
uses the archive as a sort of repository of personal notes about how she's
done things and
what works because, like me, she has a tendency to forget these details
rather quickly

> > Type e3pi --help for instructions on how to use this editor in 'pico'
> > mode.
>
> So e3pi is an editor! What is "pico" mode?

Pico is an old standard Unix editor (came with Pine). e3 emulates it (as well
as several
other editors, depending on mode) by using many of the same keystrokes one
would use in
Pico. For example, ctrl x is exit.

James