baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 16:52:38 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 13:50:53 +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:

>> Pure and simple. You'll have to learn to decipher what are called "man
>> pages"

If you use mc to navigate to the man pages, highlight one then press
F3, mc will display it in colour. From there it is a bit easier to read
the damn things, if you can understand the words - not always guaranteed
I have found.

> (a) which ARE documenation and
> (b) which are not included in the download I am using.

Not enough room in the loop version.

>> But don't go blaming us for lack of Linux
>> documentation. It's
>> just as much _our_ problem as it is yours.

> I can accept that.

> The problem is that the group members are running with the
> subject while I am still trying to learn how to walk, and
> apparently some of you object to taking the trouble to explain
> basics to me, and resent the fact that an ignorant person like me
> DARES to post in this list.

> If someone will direct me to a suitable discussion group where
> the members really DO want to help absolutely basic new users,
> then I will trouble the members of this group no more.

> Until that time, I have nowhere else to direct my queries.

> You don't want to help new users?

We all want to help new users.
Since I have been a part of the BL list, I have always asked for help
nicely, and I have always been given help - sometimes an overwhelming
supply, but always.

> You want to keep this
> discussion group for SERIOUS discussion between people who are
> experts in the field?
> Then just say so.
> Let it be known to all persons thinking of joining this group
> that it is "For Advanced Users Only."

Greg, don't pick a fight where there is none. :)

The purpose of this list is to help each other, and that includes
all the newbies that take the trouble to ask.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com