baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:21:09 +1030

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 02:42:15 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

> On most of my computers the backspace key acted like a DEL until I fixed
> it with xmodmap. With Xvesa or any other X. I don't know why.

About 40 years ago we had a fella called Julius Sumner-Miller on
television, who always asked: "Why is it so?" (which was also the
name of his program) and called on his audience of mainly teenage
students to seek out the explanations of things.

I have always been of a similar mind. So naturally I want to know
_why_ the backspace key works in what I consider the "normal"
manner at the CLI, but differently in the GUI.

My mind is incapable of accepting "it is different" as sufficient
reason. It keeps prodding me with questions like "In what way is
it different?" and "Why hasn't it been made the same?"

Enough of that. Thanks for your help. I hope to get around to
some s/h book sellers fairly soon to look for that "Running
Linux" book, and/or any other that may help me.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v