baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 14:52:45 +1030

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 02:40:36 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

> startx, make an xterm (which is actually an rxvt), type 'xmodmap
> xmodmap.84' (without the ' ') and then press the Enter key.

Granted that what you said is patently obvious to you and anyone
conversant with BL, I don't understand it at all. But I guess I
can follow the keystrokes.

And I have only a hazy idea (possibly incorrect) of what xterm is
or what it is supposed to do.

And no idea at all why typing that command would do anything. But
I'll do it anyway and see what happens.

And this is probably going to sound like another lot of stupid
questions: Where should I have the xmodmap.84 file located when I
do the above? Will BL automatically search for it? Should I do a
cd to the directory where it is before I execute the above
command?

> e3pi /root/.xinitrc
> Arrow down, add the 'xmodmap xmodmap.84' to the end of the file using the
> alphabet keys, type Ctrl-X and then Y.

Yes, I _do_ know which alphabet keys to press to get which
letters. The rest seems quite clear, although I don't understand
how it is going to work.

> Type e3pi --help for instructions on how to use this editor in 'pico'
> mode.

So e3pi is an editor! What is "pico" mode?

Whoops, sorry, I forgot that too many questions get some users
all fired up.

> O'Reilly 'Running Linux', 1999 edition, is often in used bookstores or
> public libraries. BL is a changing target.

I'll look out for it. Yes, BL is an evolving thing, that much I
gathered, but most of it starts from a common point.

Now if I can just find that point and work outwards through some
of the evolution from there......

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v