baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 12:17:05 +1030

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:07:32 +1000, Ron Clarke wrote:

> Hi Greg,

> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 09:47:02 +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:

>> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 03:17:58 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

>>> Look for xmodmap.84 at my site and I may have also posted instructions in
>>> blfiles.htm for using it. It goes in .xinitrc and fixes the backspace
>>> problem that we have with many of our keyboards, not just the 84-key

>> Where is your site, Sindi?

> http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/

> The file is nearly to the bottom of the list.

I also downloaded blfiles.htm where the instructions offer an
alternative:

extract from BLFILES.HTM ==================================================

84-KEY KEYBOARD IN X

xmodmap.84 - run 'xmodmap xmodmap.84' from X or put into .xinitrc to use
84-key keyboard. This also fixes the backspace. Use number pad arrow keys.
May not work on laptops without number pads.

Point 1: what does running something "from X" mean?

Point 2: How do I put something into .xinitrc? Do I just copy and
paste it to the end of the existing file?

But I don't even know how to do a copy/paste in BL.....

Sheesh! I bet everyone is as fed up with my queries as I am!

I've been online four times today to upload replies or new queries and
to look for replies to other queries. At this rate the dialup connection
fees alone will be costing me more than a 24/7 broadband :-(((((

PLEASE SOMEONE!!!!

Just tell me where I can find some documenatation on BL that will tell
me how to use it, so I can go away and study it at my leisure, and try
stuff out without having to come back to the list for every little
query.

HELP! SOMEONE, PLEASE!!!!!!

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v