baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 02:40:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 03:17:58 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

Look for xmodmap.84 at my site and I may have also posted instructions in
blfiles.htm for using it. It goes in .xinitrc and fixes the backspace

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/

The file is nearly to the bottom of the list.

I also downloaded blfiles.htm where the instructions offer an
alternative:

extract from BLFILES.HTM ==================================================

84-KEY KEYBOARD IN X

xmodmap.84 - run 'xmodmap xmodmap.84' from X or put into .xinitrc to use
84-key keyboard. This also fixes the backspace. Use number pad arrow keys.
May not work on laptops without number pads.

Point 1: what does running something "from X" mean?

startx, make an xterm (which is actually an rxvt), type 'xmodmap xmodmap.84' (without the ' ') and then press the Enter key.

Point 2: How do I put something into .xinitrc? Do I just copy and
paste it to the end of the existing file?

e3pi /root/.xinitrc
Arrow down, add the 'xmodmap xmodmap.84' to the end of the file using the alphabet keys, type Ctrl-X and then Y.

Type e3pi --help for instructions on how to use this editor in 'pico' mode.

But I don't even know how to do a copy/paste in BL.....

Not necessary.

Sheesh! I bet everyone is as fed up with my queries as I am!
I have been learning for a few years.
Just tell me where I can find some documenatation on BL that will tell
me how to use it, so I can go away and study it at my leisure, and try
stuff out without having to come back to the list for every little
query.

O'Reilly 'Running Linux', 1999 edition, is often in used bookstores or public libraries. BL is a changing target.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v

sindi