baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 19:59:51 -0600

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 09:20:58AM +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:

> I'm not going to bother to count the keys just to find out what
> this one is.
>
> Suffice to say it looks exactly like all the keyboards I have
> ever used with this computer, and has worked without any special
> patches with MS-DOS, Dr-DOS, GeoWorks, and Win311.
>
> I have no reason at all to suspect that it is a non-standard
> keyboard.

So as not to get into a futile discussion of semantics, let's just refer in
the future to
your keyboard as being potentially only semi-compatible with Linux. Will that
suit? For the
sake of discussion, then, let's just say that one possible explanation for
the problems you
are reporting is the semi-compatibility problem. Now, if you have a
semi-compatible
keyboard, here are your options: 1) look into what a semi-compatible keyboard
is and learn
about ways Linux users deal with semi-compatible keyboard problems (this is
what Linux users
typically do, and lists like this exist to assist them); 2) harp on about how
every pre-1996
operating system you ever used worked perfectly with your keyboard, all the
while taking no
steps to learn about, diagnose or fix the problem under Linux, thereby
irritating all other
list subscribers, who might then start telling you to go back to your
pre-1996 operating
system and stop bothering them; 3) take the whole kit-n-kaboodle to your
local computer
shop, plop it on the counter along with your credit card and tell them to do
whatever it
takes to get it to do X Y and Z for you and that you'll foot the bill. Now,
which do you
want to do? If it's any other option than 1), we won't expect to be reading
further posts
from you.

James