baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound on ThinkPad

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound on ThinkPad
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:32:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, mikkel meinike wrote:

Hi guys

Thank you. I really appreciate your help. No bullshit. In my anxious
mind have a little fear that the soundcard cold be broken. I bought
the ThinkPad second hand and in Window98 the soundcard did not work
either but I thought it was a missing driver also here.

If you still have Win98 on the computer you should check if the driver is installed. Control Panel, System, Hardware Manager, see if there is a yellow question mark under sound.

Check whether you have /dev/dsp and if you do then you need to either use a kernel that supports sound cards, or insert the modules that I listed, or modprobe sb. Report any error messages.

Then if that doesn't make any deference try all the

modprobe'ing and insmod'ing that Sindi talks about.

Do you have 'modprobe'? BL does not.

To see what modules you are using, type lsmod. If your kernel supports sound you do not need the modules.

It will probably take some time before I can report back with any results.
It took me a long time to get sound working too. Other list members helped a lot.

By the way it is the OSS I have in VL3 not ALSA, I forgot to say that

That is good, because BL supports OSS not ALSA. And it looks like your sound card only works in OSS too.

You can write me directly for help.

Thanks again

/Mikkel