baslinux - [BL] Sound on ThinkPad

  • From: "mikkel meinike" <mimeini AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Sound on ThinkPad
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:59:48 +0100

He guys

And happy new year.

I have a problem with configuring a sound card. I am not using BL but
vectorlinux3, but I get no replay on the VL forum. Vecterlunux3 is a
SW 8 derivation and from following the discussion on this list I think
that some of you should be able to come up with some ideas.

I have just installed VL3 on an older IBM ThinkPad 390. But the sound
configuration did not succeed. The sound card was auto detected by the
configuration script to be MagicMedia 256AV. and that is right from
what I can "google". Next thing is a sound test and that test is
negative. No sound but a massage.

Sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp' No such device.

Can anybody help here?

/Mikkel

I found this by google'ing maybe it haves some of the keys to what is
wrong or what can be done:

"Sound
The NeoMagic 256AV audio sound card driver is not amongst PCI
Plug&Play drivers, so it's needed to use the OSS (ISA PnP) drivers,
which need configuration by hand.

With a first look it may seem enough to enable the NM256AV/NM256ZX
audio driver, but it's not even near the truth, because there are two
versions of the NeoMagic audio chip: AV, SoundBlaster compatible and
ZX, AC97 compatible. This driver enables AC97 sound and it doesn't
work for the AV chip.

Then you may try the Sound Blaster OSS driver instead, and it works
and you got sound, but it has a problem: it's for the SoundBlaster
Pro, an 8bit card, so the sound quality is rather low, not to say
ridiculous.

At last, searching other similar Thinkpad user's pages, I found that
the Yamaha OPL2-se2 and se3 is fully compatible with the NeoMagic
256AV chip, so all you need to do is to compile the following modules
(¡¡as external MODULES!! not bouilt into the kernel):

<m> OSS sound modules
<*> Verbose initialisation
<*> Persistent DMA buffers
<m> MPU-401 support
<m> PSS (AD1848, ADSP-2115, ESC614)
<*> Enable PSS mixer
<m> Yamaha FM synthesizer (YM3812/OPL-3)
<m> Yamaha OPL3-SA2 and SA3 based PnP cards

Sound configuration is detailed later, on the Sound section."

(found at:
http://www.linups.org/modules/doc/documentos/thinkpad-us/thinkpad-us.html#hardware)