baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound on ThinkPad

  • From: Volker Jahns <volker AT thalreit.de>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound on ThinkPad
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 10:35:12 +0100

You might want to check out http://www.thinkwiki.org, there is lot of information on thinkpads and Linux.

Maybe it's a PNP problem: The thinkpad bios stuff ( sound and other things) is enabled by tpctl under Linux and ps.exe under DOS. If you do not enable sound w/ these tools it will never work :-(

On a Thinkpad 560X I never got the alsa sound driver working, while the OSS drivers worked fine ( see http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/CS4237). The loudspeakers on the 560X are crap, though.
I have a problem with configuring a sound card. I am not using BL but
vectorlinux3, but I get no replay on the VL forum. Vecterlunux3 is a
SW 8 derivation and from following the discussion on this list I think
that some of you should be able to come up with some ideas.

I have just installed VL3 on an older IBM ThinkPad 390. But the sound
configuration did not succeed. The sound card was auto detected by the
configuration script to be MagicMedia 256AV. and that is right from
what I can "google". Next thing is a sound test and that test is
negative. No sound but a massage.

Sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp' No such device