baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound on ThinkPad (just a little wondering)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound on ThinkPad (just a little wondering)
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:28:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, mikkel meinike wrote:

OK I bin reading deeper in to Sindi's replay and I come to think about
something about midi. I once road that when using for instance
Rosengarden one should find out if the sound card had a build in
synthesiser or else one should have a software emulation of a
synthesiser but how do I know if the card have build in synthesiser?

If the sound card supports OPL2 or OPL3 it has built in FM synthesis. Many of the newer cards/chips do not have it because they expect you to use a program instead that provides better midi sound, like timidity (which Ron here compiled for BL, for any libc).

If you can insmod opl3 io=0x388 your card supports FM synthesis.
(opl2 is much older)

FM synthesis produces very poor quality imitiations of musical instruments, unless you just want organ.

/Mikkel