baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound on ThinkPad

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound on ThinkPad
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:36:28 +0000 (UTC)

I have a problem with configuring a sound card. I am not using BL but
vectorlinux3, but I get no replay on the VL forum. Vecterlunux3 is a
SW 8 derivation and from following the discussion on this list I think
that some of you should be able to come up with some ideas.

"Sound
The NeoMagic 256AV audio sound card driver is not amongst PCI
Plug&Play drivers, so it's needed to use the OSS (ISA PnP) drivers,
which need configuration by hand.

With a first look it may seem enough to enable the NM256AV/NM256ZX
audio driver, but it's not even near the truth, because there are two
versions of the NeoMagic audio chip: AV, SoundBlaster compatible and
ZX, AC97 compatible. This driver enables AC97 sound and it doesn't
work for the AV chip.

Then you may try the Sound Blaster OSS driver instead, and it works
and you got sound, but it has a problem: it's for the SoundBlaster
Pro, an 8bit card, so the sound quality is rather low, not to say
ridiculous.

insmod soundcore
insmod soundlow (for 2.2 kernels, not needed for 2.4)
insmod sound
insmod uart401
insmod v_midi (maybe not needed)
insmod sb16 - with my ISA cards I also provide IO, IRQ and DMAs

Or probably modprobe sb16 would work if you have modprobe.

16-bit soundblaster

At last, searching other similar Thinkpad user's pages, I found that
the Yamaha OPL2-se2 and se3 is fully compatible with the NeoMagic
256AV chip, so all you need to do is to compile the following modules
(¡¡as external MODULES!! not bouilt into the kernel):

If you use a Slackware kernel, you can download the matching modules.

<m> OSS sound modules
<*> Verbose initialisation
<*> Persistent DMA buffers
soundcore.o soundlow.o sound.o

<m> MPU-401 support
For playing to an external midi synthesizer.
uart401? v_midi.o?

<m> PSS (AD1848, ADSP-2115, ESC614)
<*> Enable PSS mixer
Maybe you also need to insert (I don't know in which order)
ad1848.o

<m> Yamaha FM synthesizer (YM3812/OPL-3)
<m> Yamaha OPL3-SA2 and SA3 based PnP cards
opl3.o (io=0x388 with ISA cards)

These two lines are for playing midis only - FM synthesis.
Used mainly in games. Not needed.

Download all the above modules into /lib/modules/2.*/*..../sound
and then try modprobe sb16.

I hope I did not mislead you since I don't have this chip, just genuine SB16 ISA cards. (Some use also awe_wave.o for midi playing).

Look in the BL archives for SB16 and sound info.