baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 04:03:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Greg Mayman wrote:

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 23:55:52 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:
.......>
All of that can be done with the 2-floppy BL3. Or with DOS lynx (add
lxpic to view images on another page) and ftp and a text editor.

Ha! You guessed correctly that I am writing HTML with a text
editor. Is there any other way, if you wish to avoid the bloat
that usually goes into these pages?

I once counted keystrokes needed to use an HTML editor versus a text editor. You can guess which won.

But it is the "and so on" that will prevent me from giving up
DOS.

This includes several registered or freeware programs that I use
regularly, that have never been released for Linux.

I also use DOS, for wordprocessing, a database program, and to print mail from my shell account, and for CAD. THe linux programs are too new and therefore too big and bulky.

But No, I will not be totally abandoning DOS.
Another reason to choose BL and use loadlin.

^>
I turn off all my computers when they are not in use. With the power
switch on the front of the case (or I pull the plug when I want to work on
the newer ones, which are not really off otherwise).

On my (mostly) DOS computer, the front panel switch also controls
an outlet on the back. This powers the monitor, the 9-pin impact
printer and the external modem. So the whole lot goes off as one.

We use a power strip. WIth an AT power supply you can plug things into the computer but not with ATX.

ATX power supplies are a nuisance.

But the switch on the wall outlet does the job on my Win
computer, and also controls the scanner/printer and the monitor
for that comp.
If you want them all to come on at once.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v