baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 23:55:52 +0000 (UTC)

This email sent from a 1Mby 20Mhz 80286.... who needs more ?
I have sent emails from an XT with no hard drive. Is that all you want to
do with your computer?

No, ma'am! I wanna do one heck of a lot more, including up- and
downloading files, writing HTML pages and testing them, and so
on. And that's just the stuff I can do with Arachne.

All of that can be done with the 2-floppy BL3. Or with DOS lynx (add lxpic to view images on another page) and ftp and a text editor.

I hear that later computers were more energy efficient.

The laptops may be. But those big boxes that run 24/7 just gotta
use more power than my older units that run maybe 3-4 hours a day
max, and are powered off at the wall outlet the rest of the time.

I turn off all my computers when they are not in use. With the power switch on the front of the case (or I pull the plug when I want to work on the newer ones, which are not really off otherwise).

ATX power supplies are a nuisance.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v