baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 11:52:10 +1030

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 16:09:07 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

> I prefer a text-only browser most of the time so I use lynx itself, and
> Opera only if I need javascript. I also have lynx (in linux) set to use
> graphical links as a downloader (plugin) if I really need embedded
> images or rudimentary javascript.

I prefer a text-only browser too, so I run Arachne with
auto-download of images turned off.

But on some sites, I get a lot of image blocks all over the
screen, similar to the [IMG] links that we get with lynx,
although Arachne will display any alternate text that is behind
the image.

If you have ever struck this with lynx you will know how hard it
is to work out what links do which.

With Arachne, I can hit the Insert key which tells it to download
all images (slow), or I can right-click on one of the image
blocks and download just that one (much quicker). Usually I can
guess which are the links I want by their relative positions on
the screen.

The other thing I love about Arachne is that it is an integrated
browser and mail handler.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v