baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 02:47:48 +1030

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 23:55:52 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

>>> I have sent emails from an XT with no hard drive. Is that all you want to
>>> do with your computer?
>> No, ma'am! I wanna do one heck of a lot more, including up- and
>> downloading files, writing HTML pages and testing them, and so
>> on. And that's just the stuff I can do with Arachne.
> All of that can be done with the 2-floppy BL3. Or with DOS lynx (add
> lxpic to view images on another page) and ftp and a text editor.

Ha! You guessed correctly that I am writing HTML with a text
editor. Is there any other way, if you wish to avoid the bloat
that usually goes into these pages?

But it is the "and so on" that will prevent me from giving up
DOS.

This includes several registered or freeware programs that I use
regularly, that have never been released for Linux.

And countless utilities...

Yes, I am interested in what Linux can do for me.

But No, I will not be totally abandoning DOS.

> I turn off all my computers when they are not in use. With the power
> switch on the front of the case (or I pull the plug when I want to work on
> the newer ones, which are not really off otherwise).

On my (mostly) DOS computer, the front panel switch also controls
an outlet on the back. This powers the monitor, the 9-pin impact
printer and the external modem. So the whole lot goes off as one.

> ATX power supplies are a nuisance.

But the switch on the wall outlet does the job on my Win
computer, and also controls the scanner/printer and the monitor
for that comp.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v