baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 19:03:26 -0600

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 02:44:12AM +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:

> No, ma'am! I wanna do one heck of a lot more, including up- and
> downloading files, writing HTML pages and testing them, and so
> on. And that's just the stuff I can do with Arachne.
>
> Other than that, there is one heck of a lot on my machine that I
> use regularly, and one heck of a lot more that I use just
> occasionally. And all of it apart from a few tiny bits is
> DOS-based.

It sounds to me that, from this description of your needs, you'd probably be
best served by
using BL with an expanded loop file system. In other words, in place of the
20 MB loop file
the stock testing version of BL gives you, you'd create a 50 MB (or perhaps
larger, since
Sindi seems to be claiming it can be even 100 MB) loop file. Then you'd copy
the contents of
the stock loop file (called fs.img) to the 50 MB (or >) loop file, the latter
of which would
then become your BL system. You could almost certainly install all of the
pre-packaged BL
utilities in that amount of space. Depending on how much file storage you're
planning to do,
that might be as much space as you'd need. And remember that you'd always
have access while
using BL to your DOS filesystem and you could save files to it (you'd have to
observe DOS 8
- 3 file naming conventions, though). When you're through working in BL you
reboot your
machine and you're back in DOS.

It's a bit complicated/convoluted to make the new, larger loop file and copy
everything over
to it from the stock loop file, but it's been discussed at some length and
information can
be found in the list archives. Folks here can chip in with pointers on how to
do it as well.
Let us know if you'd like any help with that.

James