baslinux - Re: [BL] Help for a newbie

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help for a newbie
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 17:04:31 +1100

Hi Sindi,

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 04:25:02 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, Ron Clarke wrote:
>
> >> I found Arachne much more confusing and somewhat buggy.
> >
> > How long has it been since you last tried Arachne ?
>
> Version 8, a couple of years ago?

Much has changed since then. For a start, it has gone GPL, and Michael
Polak is no longer concerned with the development of Arachne.

> I got annoyed when I offered to fix the English, in fact I sent him a file
> of suggested grammatical corrections and it never got corrected.

Michael was never very good at English grammar, but there is an opening
for editing the documentation and volunteers would be welcomed with
enthusiasm.

> Steven aims at perfection.

So does Glenn McCorkle, who has taken over control of the development team.

> > Bugs are rather few and far between, and are dealt with remarkably
> > quickly.
>
> Glad to hear it works better now. Does Arachne handle javascript at all
> yet?

No, and we don't see that hapening in the forseeable future, but she does
ignore it with more style.

> SSL?

Sort of. It uses a helper program as a plug-in - doslynx, as it happens,
and it works quite well.

> Did the linux version materialize?

No, not beyond what Michael Polak did. It just about functions, but with
huge memory leaks that cause a lock-up very quickly. Not a viable option at
the moment.

But the DOS version has become very stable, quite fast, and with three or
four development threads happening at the same time. The "official" latest
version will always be found at:
http://www.cisnet.com/glennmcc/arachne/

And the list of available plug-ins continues to grow.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke