baslinux - Re: [BL] USB support

  • From: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB support
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 14:01:31

On 29 Dec 06 at 3:44, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

>Sindi will recompile with 8MB RAMDISK but maybe wait until you have tested
>the existing 'lc' kernel, in case something else needs changing at the same
>time. I did not even try booting with it.
>
>http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimaglc.431

Sindi,

today I continued testing some of the cusomized 2.4.31 kernels
on your website.

- Sy doesnot work with USB modules (complains already with usbcore),

- it is the same with the Lm kernel.

- Lc freezes after booting and loading USB device.

So far I succeeded only with La - but La does not allow to mount
CD-ROM.

In case you find time to compile a USB kernel with maximum RAM disk
8192 kB, I would describe my priorities as follows:

a) Please, do not make the kernel too specific. At this moment, I
know what I need it for - a very customized and minimized RAM disk
version of BL2. Nevertheless in future, it could be useful also when
booting into standard Slackware 7.1 installations. In that case a
lack of CD-ROM support, floppy drive etc. would be very annoying.

b) The module approach is okay to me. I do not need everything to be
built in. Loading the individual USB modules manually and in scripts
can be helpful when debugging. If the basic RAM disk is 8MB I would
not mind putting a number of modules on it.

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov