baslinux - [BL] Chat from ppp 4.0 (was Re: Eznet -- Getting There)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Chat from ppp 4.0 (was Re: Eznet -- Getting There)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:00:17 -0800

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 06:56:14PM +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:

> > 0 tty /dev/ttyS4
> > 0 debug yes
> > 0 password xxxxxxx
> > 0 phone xxxxxxx
> > 0 user leeforrest AT simple.net
>
> The debug line is unnecessary. It doesn't do anything
> useful at this stage.

Turned out to be true.

[delete]

Thanks for the help, Steven. As usual, I learned a lot.

I downloaded the ppp package from Slackware 4.0 as David
suggested:

wget
http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-4.0/slakware/n5/ppp.tgz

and extracted the tarball, copying the chat executable to /usr/sbin as
you recommended, then copied over my /etc/ppp/options from debian,
changing only the path to the chatscript, which I also copied
over from debian, where I use chat too:

/etc/ppp/options:

# Set up routing to go through this PPP link
defaultroute

noauth

# Default modem (you better replace this with /dev/ttySx!)
/dev/ttyS4

# Speed
115200

crtscts

lock

noipdefault

modem

lcp-echo-interval 30

lcp-echo-failure 4

#Keep modem up even if connection fails
#persist

debug

noipx

/quote

chatscript:

ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT VOICE
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
"" ATZW2
OK ATDTxxxxxxx #local phone number
ogin "leeforrest AT simple.net"
word \qxxxxxx

/quote

(I'm using kernel 2.4.19 and pppd 2.4.2, and an external,
hardware modem.)

A few minutes ago I logged on to simple.net used links to access
google!!

I sure am looking forward to the day I can dump debian and use
only BL. And to all that I will learn getting there.

Can't access gmail with it, but I am more inclined to look for
another mail service than to install SSL/STARTTLS and all that
stuff.

Lee