baslinux - Re: [BL] Eznet -- Getting There

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Eznet -- Getting There
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:52:42 -0800

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 08:23:37PM -0500, Sheldon Isaac wrote:
> On 20 Dec 2006 at 16:54, Lee Forrest wrote:
>
> SNIP
> > ------------------------
> > eznet.conf:
> >

> > 0 chat yes
> > 0 debug yes
> > 0 dialtimeout 10 #I wasn't using this for the first
> > # attempts and it didn't effect anything
> > # I misunderstood what it does.
> >
> > 0 init0 ATZW2 #this is the init string I use with the
> > #same modem on debian. Wasn't used on
> > #the first attempts and didn't effect
> > #anything after I added it.
> >
> > 0 password xxxxxx
> > 0 phone xxxxxxxx
> > 0 service simple
> > 0 user leeforrest AT simple.net
> >
> > --------------------------------
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas?
>
> No ideas, but will paste my eznet.conf, which worked the last time I used
> it.
>
> 0 idle 0
> 0 tty /dev/ttyS3
> 0 phone t215-967-3278
> 0 user sisaac AT netaxs.com
> 0 password yyyyyyy
> 0 chat no

Thank you, Sheldon. That baudrate is the default, and I have
/dev/ttyS4 symlinked to /dev/modem, which eznet uses by default.

The chat option is confusing to me.

man ezenet:

chat

The default value of this option is "yes". If you set it to "no",
then eznet will try to set up a PPP link as soon as the modem
connects, ignoring any "login:" or similar prompts from the
remote machine.

idle

This parameter records the number of seconds of inactivity that
will cause the PPP connection to shutdown. The default value is
300 (5 minutes). If you set it to 0, then no idle timeout will
occur.

/quote

Why would you have "chat no" _and_ user/password set?

I use the utility 'chat' on my debian OS to connect to
the same provider:

/etc/chatscripts/provider

ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT VOICE
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
"" ATZW2
OK ATDTxxxxxx
ogin "leeforrest AT simple.net"
word \qxxxxx

/quote

Note that the option "NO CARRIER" is set, as it is in eznet.

As for 'idle', mine is set at the default, and I can't see
how that would be a problem.

Lee