baslinux - Re: [BL] Udhcpc and Loop Linux and Kernel Compilation (was:[delete])

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Udhcpc and Loop Linux and Kernel Compilation (was:[delete])
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:12:50 -0800

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 05:35:16AM +1300,
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Lee Forrest wrote:
>
> > As for "loop linux", I don't know what you are talking about.
>
> I think she is refering to the DOS version of BL3 (which runs
> from a loop file).
>
> > Do you mean running linux inside a loop device? /dev/loop0
> > etc?
>
> Yes.
>
> > What would be the point?
>
> It is the best way to run Linux from a DOS filesystem. A
> ramdisk is volatile. UMSDOS is inefficient and slow.

I see. What's commonly called an "emulator". A subordinate OS.

Shortly after I got into computers, I began to despise windows,
because it seemed to be deliberately and unnecessarily
overly-complex and the docs were pathetic and designed to send
me running to Tech Support, and I found out that microsoft was
installing software on my computer without even telling me about
it. And I just wanted to run over that stupid cartoon dog!

I didn't know there were any other OSs. (Was microsoft going to
tell me? Hell no.) But I did know about DOS, which was the
original windows. So I did some research on the web and was
about to install DOS 6.22 when I stumbled across a reference
to linux.

DOS is a kernel and baselibs, utilities and shell (plus
applications), and linux makes it look like the poorly-designed
toy it is.

Why even bother?

Lee